I have a confession. Little guy hasnt slept in his crib yet.
In fact, he has hardly slept in the bassinet of pack in play.
And I have hardly slept in bed.
Instead we have set up camp in the living room. I sleep in a recliner and he snuggles on my chest. It isnt ideal. But it allows me better sleep than trying to lay him in the swing or bouncy. He will sleep on the boppy, but I cannot leave him in that to sleep. He has issues laying flat due to acid reflux. He gets the hiccups, spits up a little (which is a ton compared to the fact he never usually spits up!), or has gas and doesn't sleep well bc of it.
He actualy sleeps best on his tummy. And I just cannot bring myself to laying him down that way in his crib. I think of unsafe sleep, sids, loosing this little miracle. Because the past has shown me that things do not always have a happy ending. That bad things DO happen to good people, many many times. And to be honest if something happened to him, and I had put him tummy down...I would be a mess. A total basket case.
But the other part of me says, trust God. Just do it. Regardless of how you put him to sleep God has his hand on him protecting him as he sleeps. I am conflicted. If I hadnt experienced the losses. If I hadnt saw my Aunt lose her 21 day old little princess to SIDS...I would have put him to sleep no problem on his tummy already.
Instead I allow him to sleep on my chest, which isnt really any safer...than tummy on crib. Or I allow him to sleep on his tummy beside me on the couch as I watch TV and keep an eye on his reathing, like a neurotic mom.
On another note...I am getting fat again. I was down to 201. But now am up to 206-207ish. Not close to the 192 I was pre-pregnancy. As soon as these holiday cookies are gone, James and I are revamping our eating habits and even though I wont have been cleared to exercise yet, I plan on starting soon. Nothing heavy, just some yoga, and maybe a little Zumba.
And pumping is going well for the most part (I slack sometimes but supply doesnt seem to be going down at all, just concerned about when I go back to work and then add school).
To add to my stress college informed me that I will no longer be eligible for financial aid bc I have too many credits at too low of a level. Well friends that is what happens when you are indecisive and then have to wait to get in to the program of choice. Which by the way there are roomers of it loosing it's credibility. Wonderful.
Gah! I will work on a 1month old post for Matthew as Christmas Eve was that milestone :-)
For now, I need a little sleep until Matthe wakes up wanting to eat again.

Aww, I don't blame you one bit! I know a lot of mommies who do the same thing, especially early on. I hope you guys get some better rest soon!
ReplyDeleteYay for 1 month! I'm so happy for you & your sweet little family. :-)
This time of year is so hard for losing weight/not gaining! Sorry to hear about your college stuff :-( Hoping everything works out one way or another!
Hello Friend. We went through the same sleeping thing with Wyatt. Then it got better for 3 months and now we are back at it again with him. No one told me that there is a thing called 8, 9 or 10 month old sleep regression. I hope that things start to work out for you soon.
ReplyDeleteWhen do you go back to work?
My mom said I didn't sleep through the night until I was over a year old :-( Yikes is what I have to say to that! lol I go back to work after January 17th, unless we decide to take the full 12 weeks off (right now I am taking 8, it hurts being unpaid...but is well worth it!).
DeleteOur babies went through a reflux thing at first, too. We would hold them in a slanted position for 30 minutes after they ate and then put them down flat in the crib. They still spit up in their sleep but it wasn't so bad. (We also bought a wedge that can go in the crib to put them down on, which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't) Nowadays sometimes I will put them on their bellies after they eat just to calm them down before transferring them to another surface. However it happens, you need to get some sleep - I hope whatever arrangement you've got is getting *actual* sleep for you! Lack of sleep can affect your milk supply :( It seems like cruel irony because new moms just don't get much sleep, but too little sleep can make your milk go down. Blah!
ReplyDeleteI hope you can figure something out. My son had terrible reflux when he was a baby. Zantac is the only thing that helped.
ReplyDeleteAs for sleep, my daughted slept propped in her boppy pillow between us on the bed for the first few months. I know some people wouldn't recommend it but it worked very well for us..